Heartburn is an inconvenient problem because it can disrupt a good outing and a nice dinner. You cannot enjoy the excellent food while you are suffering from heartburn. The condition can spoil the mood and the day of the person experiencing it. People with frequent heartburns have to always be careful about the things they eat. This is quite a trial for the people suffering from it. So here is a brief account of the information relates to heartburn.
Heartburn is a common problem that is formed by acid reflux which is a condition when the contents in the stomach are forced back in the esophagus. It makes the sufferer feel a burning pain in the lower part of the chest. That is called heartburn. The acid reflux can be persistent and can happen more than once in a week and it is called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Heartburn is the symptom of the condition GERD. Research says that many people suffer from the condition of heartburn and do not know how to deal with it. The acid reflux is also called pyrosis or acid indigestion.
The stomach acid flows up back in the esophagus which is the pipe that carries the food from the mouth where the process of digestion starts and to the stomach where the food stays for a time.
The occasional heartburn is a normal occurrence and not very serious when it is considered. The continuous acid reflux in the body can result in gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or GORD) and this can lead to very serious consequences. This can also be a sign of other hidden health issues. The disease Gastroesophageal reflux can occur in people of all ages without any difference. The cause of diseases is mainly attributed to lifestyle factors like obesity, less exercise, and smoking. The intake of table salt is also the cause of heartburn. The diet is low dietary fiber can increase the production of acid and lead to acid reflux. The people’s favorite treat chocolates can also trigger acid reflux in the body.
Some of the causes are preventable and it is in the hands of the sufferer to come out of the bad habit to get rid of it. But other causes are not easily done away with. For instance, pregnancy can cause acid reflux because of the additional pressure on the internal organs. The medications are taken for diseases like asthma, antihistamines, painkillers, calcium-channel blockers, asthma, sedatives, and antidepressants.
The symptoms of heartburn
The symptoms of heartburn are very visible to most of the sufferers. The most frequent feeling experienced by the heartburn patients is the warmth or heat, the sensation of burning in the chest and the throat and the acid in the stomach. The other common symptoms of heartburn are the following.
- The sensation of burning in the center of the chest.
- The increasing pain in the jaw.
- The condition of indigestion and the burning.
- The acrid taste and unfavorable taste in the mouth.
If a person feels the symptoms of acid reflux frequently they must consult the doctor who may ask them to visit a specialist in gut medicine – gastroenterologist.
Remedies for the heartburn
The patients have to find out the root of the problem that is to decrease the secretion of stomach acid. These remedies can be applied in a daily way of life. Some of the remedies are-
- You can follow a healthy diet by limiting the consumption of food that contains a lot of fat content.
- You have to avoid eating before going to sleep. Eat earlier and then go to sleep at night that will leave your stomach time to digest the food properly.
- Sit straight while eating.
- Avoiding triggers such as alcohol, full cream milk, gassy foods, acidic food, caffeine, spicy food, orange, tomato, and lemon juices. They are the natural triggers of stomach acid.
- Can try reducing weight.
- Eating the meals that are small in content more often.
- To go and review the medications you are taking.
Treatments for the heartburn
Changes in lifestyle can help to lessen the production of the acid and in turn, the effects of the acid can be decreased. Here are the other steps that can cure the heartburn.
- Taking the antacids can help instantly to cure heartburn. They are used for the short term relief of acid reflux.
- The proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as esomeprazole, omeprazole, and rabeprazole can also be consumed to get rid of heartburn. For people with frequent heartburn, the PPIs are the best medicine because they lessen the secretion of the acid and are known to be safe for the stomach. However, they are not appropriate and suitable for all the people as they can cause side effects for some of the people.
- The OTC treatments are available for people with severe and continuous heartburn conditions. These treatments reduce the acidity in the stomach. There are many brands available for you to choose from with the same level of effectiveness.
- Histamine-2 blockers such as cimetidine, ranitidine, and famotidine can also help you to ease the heartburn.
- Alginate drugs like Gaviscon can also help you to do away with the pain of heartburn. They are the best medicine used for heartburn therapy. It creates a mechanical wall in the stomach by creating a foamy gel that stays in the gastric pool.
- Sucralfate acid suppressants
- GABA(B) receptor agonist
- Prokinetic agents
- Pain modulators
- Potassium-competitive acid blockers
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Refer to the doctor before using the medicine for heartburn.
How to prevent heartburn?
Leading a healthy life by eating the foods that do not cause acid reflux can help you to stay wary of the heartburn. You can wear loose attires for the stomach area to relax. You can have a good posture while you sit and eat for the food to flow smoothly to the stomach. These are some of the things you can have in mind to cure heartburn.